My Literacy Journey

September 12th, 2021

     My literacy journey began when I was a young child during my first year of preschool. I remember being small, so small that the books we read felt giant in my hands and they weighed a ton. My teacher would past those books out everyday and we would all practice sounding out the words before she would tell us how to say them. This was always my favorite part of the day and continued to be throughout my elementary years. As I got older, it of course got easier, but I still required a lot of encouragement from my teachers. They were always our biggest cheerleaders and supporters. They made sure we understood the text we were reading, and more importantly that we enjoyed it. Learning to read was supposed to be something fun and exciting, and it always was. 



    As I kept growing and kept learning, I began to want to read and write more and more. I loved being able to write short stories in school and being able to read the one's my peers wrote. Sometimes I would even watch videos online about how to become a better writer and I started to practice whenever I could. My favorite pastime was taking the stories that I wrote in school and then running home to type them on the computer and print them out for my mom to read. As a teen, writing and reading became an important outlet for me during the harder times of my life. Things were so much better after I read my favorite book or wrote about my day. This really helped me grow and I began to realize that I really wanted to share that with others, how much reading and writing can change your life. 

 


    Today, literacy is one of the most important parts of my life. I love it so much because not only is it something that is a privilege to have, but writing and reading is such a fulfilling thing to be able to do. Whether you like to journal, write reviews, create stories or just casually read, you have been touched by what the gift of literacy is. Nowadays, my favorite authors like Hanya Yanagihara and Madeline Miller are my biggest inspirations. The stories they create and the way that they tell them are something I will always look up to. Hopefully one day I can create and share stories like them too, all while sharing how much of a blessing being able to read and write really is with my students. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Pop Culture Good For You?